Upland Delight

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

Upland Delight

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:47 pm

Trip to Calgary this morning to drop off an individual at the airport. Stopped off at a couple of places on the way back. One stop, for a power nap, provided my first lifer for a couple of weeks with an Upland Sandpiper in the adjacent field. I had initially been looking at Marbled Godwit, Wilson's Snipe and Wilson's Phalarope whilst deciding which position my seat should be in when the Upland's head popped up. Next stop was Tillibrook Campsite for a quick walk around. Little extra there but did have cracking views of Western Wood Pewee, Northern Flicker and Brown Thrasher.

Final stop at Kininvie Marsh where Black-necked Stilt and American Black Tern showed extremely well with a backdrop of 4 Northern Harriers. I had hoped for possible McCown's Longspur but had to settle for its Chestnut Collared Cousin. Still, a wonderful bird. I made a school boy error at the marsh by wearing a short sleeved shirt and was finally chased away by a squadron or two of mosquitoes. How do the Canadian's survive this onslought? -30 degrees Centigrade in winter must be a genuine delight.

Cold Lake for two days tomorrow then duty officer for the week which will mean local birding and the possibility of Bald Eagle in Medicine Hat.