All quiet on the Eastern Front

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

All quiet on the Eastern Front

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 am

I could wax lyrical about a massive movement of birds through Bastion/Leatherneck this week but if I did I’d be deluded. There as been little at all this week worthy of note indeed I have found little worthy of discussion hence my ramblings below.

Little Stint

Only 2 birds this week, both singletons at Leatherneck.

Laughing Dove

Large numbers still around camp, heading out into the desert at last lights, perhaps to drink in pools south of the fence line.

Crested Larks

Omni-present with birds everywhere. Given the numbers in camp goodness knows what the population is in the rest of Afghanistan. These birds are very confident and hardy, unafraid of human contact, and will walk just in front of you.

Greater Hoopoe Lark

A pair breeding at the edge of a culvert pipe on the perimeter track. I know this species nests under small bushes and trees but to find shade under a culvert is perhaps unusual.

Tree Sparrow

A few around but now keeping well and truly out of the sun. More likely to be found at the beginning or end of the day.

There has perhaps been more of a movement of insects with plenty of locusts around camp, darter type Dragonflies in Latherneck, plenty of Moths and a Monarch-type Butterfly in Bastion 2.
Last edited by Lesser Spot Finder on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lesser Spot Finder

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 am

Just when I thought I'd see nothing else of significance for a couple of months I found a ♂ Bay-backed Shrike this morning in between Camps 508 and Camp Darwin, part of Bastion 2. Good photos of it perching on a barbed wire fence to add to my collection 'Birds on Barbed Wire Fences'.

loops

Postby loops » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:32 pm

good job another bird appeared, I was concerned that you are now adding locust spotting to your list of activities!!! :lol:

Lesser Spot Finder

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:06 am

loops wrote:good job another bird appeared, I was concerned that you are now adding locust spotting to your list of activities!!! :lol:
Don't go there. It was almost considered an option!