Cinnamon Swirl

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

Cinnamon Swirl

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:42 pm

I had the use of a vehicle so instead of having to trudge three miles or so to the Ralston WTP I drove, parked up, popped on my 'scope window mount and scanned the area. Immediately I found a mixed flock of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Wilson's Phalarope totalling in excess of 30 birds. Hopes of Short-billed Dowitcher were dashed but to see the Yellowlegs, most in breeding plumage, was a delight.

As I scanned the back of the far pond I noticed two ducks almost into eclipse plumage but most definitely Cinnamon Teals which I had been trying to find form some time. Half hour later I headed to another WTP, this time at Suffield, where I picked up Sora, singing Marsh Wren but little else. A quick drive down the Southern range Boundary road produced Chestnut-collared Longspur, two Northern Harriers and my third Sprague's Pipit of the trip.

An excellent end to the week with 51 species seen in total over the last few days.

I'm off to Calgary Airport tomorrow so will look out for something special on my drive up.