A Rustic Sighting

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

A Rustic Sighting

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:07 am

I visited Runway's End Marsh yesterday at exactly 24 hours after the last visit. I walked in the same direction, dodging sludge and waste water and flushed yet another Hoopoe which showed its crest and wing markings as it flew.

Heading south at the halfway point I again stumpled over the bolders and at almost the same place as the Red-fronted Serin disturbed a bunting sized passerine which again perched in full view in the reed bed. Binoculars up and I identified a female Rustic Bunting, the second lifer in 24 hours. The bird was confiding and perched whilst continually flicking its tail. It doesn't get better than this and I'll be back in a couple of hours time.
Last edited by Lesser Spot Finder on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lesser Spot Finder

Re: A Rustic Sighting

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 am

Lesser Spot Finder wrote:I visited Runway's End Marsh yesterday at exactly 24 hours after the last visit. I walked in the same direction, dodging sludge and waste water and flushed yet another Hoopoe which showed its crest and wing markings as it flew.

Heading south at the halfway point I again stumpled over the bolders and at almost the same place as the Red-fronted Serin disturbed a bunting sized passerine which again perched in full view in the reed bed. Binoculars up and I identified a female Rustic Bunting, the second lifer in 24 hours. The bird was confiding and perched whilst continually flicking its tail. It doesn't get better than this and I'll be back in a couple of hours time.
'Only' two Hoopoes on the third visit. Outragous.