TWO-BARRED CROSSBILL INFLUX

Post interesting sightings here - note: Do NOT post grid references for breeding birds - thank you.

Moderator: roger dickey

Wandering Tattler

TWO-BARRED CROSSBILL INFLUX

Postby Wandering Tattler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:52 am

Over the past month there has been a mini Two-barred Crossbill invasion, with birds seen in Shetland, Orkney, Moray/Nairn, Lancashire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Surrey and South Yorkshire.

The first South Yorkshire sightings were seen on 12 Aug at Broomhead Reservoir, SW of Sheffield and only a short drive from the M1. There have been up to 9 birds reported (1 male, 2 females and 6 juvs). The birds have remained pretty faithful to one area containing Larch, within a 200 metre easy walk from a metal road, and I was able to see 8, if not all 9, of the birds on 16 Aug 13. There were also 30+ Common Crossbills in the area, mostly seen in flight overhead but smaller groups did land.

With so many sightings of Two-barred Crossbills in the UK in the past month it is well worth checking out your local Crossbill/Larch sites. Remembering that aberrant Common Crossbills can show white wing bars, so make sure that you combine the obvious features with some of the other features too (eg white on the tertials, slightly narrower bill and most useful the calls; less metallic than Common Crossbill and they also have a trumpet like call).

Failing that if you are prepared to drive to Broomhead Reservoir you can always email me at tc271@hotmail.com and I will try and provide some detailed directions.

Good luck!

Wandering Tattler

TWO-BARRED CROSSBILLS

Postby Wandering Tattler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Still 8 present today, 23 Aug 13.