Possible Irruption of Nearctic Species

Post interesting sightings here - note: Do NOT post grid references for breeding birds - thank you.

Moderator: roger dickey

AOS@CA

Possible Irruption of Nearctic Species

Postby AOS@CA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Bird Studies Canada would like to advise British birders that the invasive nearctic species rubrumcervice hortonus venator (red-necked coffee swiller) may make another attempt this summer to colonize Great Britain. Based on long term monitoring and flight projections it is expected that a pair may arrive in the Andover area in mid summer. Birders are asked to be on the lookout, and to report any sightings to DEFRA immediately. Likely habitat includes office cubicles, curry houses and agreeable country pubs.

The pair we are tracking is somewhat old and bedraggled, so it is unlikely that breeding will occur. On this basis BSC and DEFRA have agreed that a cull will probably not be required.

Imber Eye

Postby Imber Eye » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Welcome back and you will find that the habitat is rather good. There is a black hole near Monxton that can have a negative impact. Looking forward to filling in the gaps from the last sighting on this shore.

roger dickey

NEARCTIC SPECIES

Postby roger dickey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:42 pm

So the rumours are true!
I can still be found rummaging around in exactly the same habitat.
The earlier comment on Monxton black holes is under-emphasised.
Two early ticks for acclimatising Nearctics are Black Swan and Hawk for which I have acted as guide on many occasions.
I'll follow the web site for news.

loops

Neararctic species

Postby loops » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Welcome back.

I trust you have a full itinary planned and will be calling on the sevices of the bird guides of the Uk - calling in the promises made during the last tour of your patch! :lol:

Wandering Tattler

CANADIAN INVASION

Postby Wandering Tattler » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Great to hear that another Canadian vagrant is predicted in the UK. Friends from Medicine Hat, Ben Velner and Bob Frew (some will remember Ben Velner from our day at Police Point Park and Brooks), are coming to the UK in early June too. How long is the predicted stay?

Should you ever manage to get north of Oxford and want to bird East or South Yorkshire give me a shout.

AOS@CA

Postby AOS@CA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:20 am

We should be arriving in July for three years. Apparently there is some work they want me to do but I don't intend to let that hamper my real mission, which is to track down a number of pesky species that managed to evade me on the first go around (turtle dove, grasshopper warbler, dotterel, wood warbler to name a few).

And who knows, perhaps sooty tern and masked booby if all goes to plan!

Wandering Tattler

NEARACTIC INVASION

Postby Wandering Tattler » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:24 am

Sounds great! Could the long distance wanderer find itself on Fair Isle in October 2012?

Details are on the website.