MORE HERONS, AMERICAN DOUBLES AND MEALY REDPOLLS

Post interesting sightings here - note: Do NOT post grid references for breeding birds - thank you.

Moderator: roger dickey

Wandering Tattler

MORE HERONS, AMERICAN DOUBLES AND MEALY REDPOLLS

Postby Wandering Tattler » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:16 pm

This week has seen an American Bittern at Trewey Common, making an American double with the Heligan Green Heron for Cornwall and making 2010 an exceptional year for heron species in the UK.

Cley is also doing an American double at the moment with a drake Green-winged Teal and an American Golden Plover.

Mealy (Common) Redpolls have been ariving in the UK in recent weeks, so double check any Redpoll flocks as they could contain Lesser and Mealy (Common) Redpolls.

roger dickey

Mealy Redpolls

Postby roger dickey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:54 pm

We ringed literally hundreds of Mealys in Sweden a fortnight ago, all heading South, and most large flocks contained an Arctic and Lessers, the latter being very distinctively darker brown.

Wandering Tattler

REDPOLLS

Postby Wandering Tattler » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Whilst in Fair Isle two weeks ago there were reports of Greenland 'rostrata' and Icelandic 'islandica' Redpolls arriving from the NW too. Rostrata are large dark brown birds and islandica paler, so two more subspecies to keep your eyes open for amongst the Lesser and Mealy Redpolls this year.

Bob Hayward

American herons

Postby Bob Hayward » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi

I managed to drag Di out with me on Saturday and drove down to Cornwall, first stop was the American Bittern at Walmsley Santuary, we were waiting just under the hour before it decided to come into view, I must admit I was expecting just to see its head and neck but this lovely bird came out of the reeds and walking along the bank, most excellent views, we then drove over the moor to Heligan to look for the Green Heron, again this bird came out into the open and was feeding on one of the pools. a very good day

Bob

Wandering Tattler

AMERICAN DOUBLE

Postby Wandering Tattler » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Great birds Bob!

AOS@CA

American Bittern

Postby AOS@CA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm not totally surprised you got a good view. While american bitterns aren't exactly showy, they are a lot easier to see/less skulking than their European cousins. I have had good close views several times in the past year vs a few brief spottings in my UK sojourn.

Anthony