One more Lifer

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

One more Lifer

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:47 pm

I walked for three hours today in plus 37 degree temperatures and boy was it worth it. I initially started off at the Ralston WTP and worked all the ponds. The eastern most one was most productive with 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 Greater Yellowlegs, 8 American Avocet, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 3 Wilson's Phalaropes, 1 Short-billed Dowitcher, 1 Marbled Godwit, 10+ Killdeer, 1 Willet and at least 6 Western Sandpipers (lifer 79) which sadly I didn't not get good views of as I flushed them and they headed off - Westerns they were and I was unable to pick up anything else in amongst them.

On a high I headed westwards picking up 3 Marsh Wrens, an obliging Cooper's Hawk, a very pale Merlin and 2 Ferruginous Hawks before crossing the highway and working towards the Suffield WTP. Birds on the way included Black Tern, Sora, Northern Harrier, Short-eared Owl and Shore Lark and all the usual ducks and Black-necke Grebe were present.

A cracking afternoon although I am now a little jaded. 56 species in total and perhaps my best total in Suffield to date. Photos published on FB and Birdforum. My penultimate weekend in Canada was not wasted.

Afternote:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird over my head on the way back from the Mess; my first one in Suffield.

Lesser Spot Finder

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:11 pm

I returned to the Eastern most WTP pond yesterday during a run - I carried a day sack with Camel Bak and binoculars in. 5 American Avocets still present along with 4 Killdeer and the lone Willet which continued to dive bomb me. As I walked down the path a single Chalidris Sandpiper flew up from the margins but I was unable to get onto it to confirm id. Possibly a Semi P or Bairds but I'll never know - the former would have been nice as I haven't seen this species.