Geater Yellowlegs - on my patch at least!

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

Geater Yellowlegs - on my patch at least!

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:54 am

There has been much commotion on Birdforum today following a report of Greater Yellowlegs being seen in the Midlands and hundreds of twitchers abandoning work, the dole queue and families to travel to see it, tick it off only to find out, some hours later, that it was in fact a Greenshank. There are a number of birding luminaries rather embarrassed tonight. It is apparent that there was a mass stringing going on yesterday. We are all guilty of misidentification but there are some high up in the birding pecking order who ticked the bird and departed.

I on the other hand finished work, went for a run, had supper and still managed to bag one along with its Lesser Cousin at the Ralston WTP. I must say I don't see the resemblance to Greenshank - Greater Yellowlegs is a much more elegant bird with no white V up its back (only a white rump) and with well.........Yellow legs. Plumage on the birds I have seen to date is more akin to a summer Marsh Sandpiper or as Tim C stated - a Wood Sandpiper.

Also present was a Short-billed Dowitcher, 5 American Avocets (3 recently hatched young), a Willet and 2 Northern Harriers.

Another quality evening where I didn't waste £50 travelling a couple of hundred miles to see a Greenshank.
Last edited by Lesser Spot Finder on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

roger dickey

CANADA

Postby roger dickey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:00 pm

So remind me who's validating your ticks Richard?

roger dickey

Canada

Postby roger dickey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 pm

A low dig from jealous of Somerset.

Lesser Spot Finder

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am

So low I thought you hailed from South Yorkshire and was employed as a miner. Lee Evans audits my birds :lol: ! That said, I only post when they have flown off!

roger dickey

Canada

Postby roger dickey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Audit takes on a whole new meaning when you lose one of Tony Crease's rings. I can be found on the naughty step for the next few months with mail redirected.

So what target birds are left? The season deteriorates in quality with you and us but can you give us 'armchair New World birders' an idea of what you are looking for over the remainder of your time there?

Lesser Spot Finder

Re: Canada

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:16 pm

roger dickey wrote:Audit takes on a whole new meaning when you lose one of Tony Crease's rings. I can be found on the naughty step for the next few months with mail redirected.

So what target birds are left? The season deteriorates in quality with you and us but can you give us 'armchair New World birders' an idea of what you are looking for over the remainder of your time there?
Wader migration is here and I saw my first returning Least Flycatcher yesterday.

Sadly I am possibly tied to this location for the remainder of the exercise. New World Warblers will be out as they return late August so I will focus my time on the sloughs and WTPs around camp. Target birds will be Semipalmated, Western, Bairds and Least Sandpipers and the chance of a Stilt Sandpiper is a mouthwatering thought. I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off - the intention was to visit Police Point (as I would have a lift) but I will possibly do a long loop taking in Ralston and CFB Suffield WTPs and all the sloughs in between. Should keep me out of trouble for a couple of hours.

Can't complain really - currently on 78 lifers, less than I expected but then again I've been here before and also birded on the Eastern Seaboard.

Wandering Tattler

BATUS BIRDING

Postby Wandering Tattler » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 pm

I think you have done well to get 78 lifers in the limited number of places you have managed to get to in an exceptionally wet summer. It has been really good to read your blog and it has brought back some great memories.

Pakowki lake, marsh and dam are probably the best locations for waders but they are about an hour away. Kininvie and Lake Newell (SE) are probably the best within about 20-40 minutes. Your problem is going to be the amount of wet habitat available to the birds at the moment, they would normally be concentrated by now in a normal year.

All the best for cracking 80!