Kinnivie Marsh

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

Kinnivie Marsh

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:29 pm

I stopped off briefly at Kinnivie Marsh on the way back from Calgary; I'd just dropped off a Brigadier after a visit and had sneeked my scope into the car just in case. Plenty of Black and Common Terns around and a lone American White Pelican over. Most of the wildfowl are now in eclipse plumage and nearly all females are trailing young behind them; it would appear to have been a good year for ducks.

A couple of sloughs SE of the marsh, adjacent to the Trans Canada Highway, had both American Avocet and Black-necked Stilts on them and the disticntive mounds containing nesting Black-necked Grebe were easy to see. Sadly I couldn't stop at these sloughs otherwise I perhaps would have picked up more waders.

Any slough or pond at CFB Suffield is not full of water following the deluge yesterday - we had knee deep water on the Jenner Highway between camps. This might have an affect on the number of waders stopping for any length of time as most exposed mud is now under water again.

Franklin's Gulls are now present in good numbers around camp following the rain and Merlins are very vocal around Ralston Village and I susoect have young.

Less than 2 weeks left in Canada before a couple of weeks in Aldershot and a holiday in Turkey.