A slough too far!

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

A slough too far!

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:15 pm

The last couple of weeks have been mostly spent at work; the taxpayer is now getting his worth out of me. That said I have managed to get out and check out the local sloughs which have turned up a couple of gems most notable American Bittern (last seen in by me at Marton Mere, Lancashire in the 80s I think), breeding American Black Tern and, on one occasion, 12 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs and a Spotted Sandpiper.

Reverse wader migration is picking up now and there are plenty of Marbled Godwits, Willets and Wilson's Phalaropes around and I hope to pickup a few lifers over the last couple of weeks. Target Birds will include Semipalmated and Western Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitcher.

The slough 6 kms along the Jenner Highway has had a successful American Avocet brood with a family party of five there a couple of days ago. I almost certainly had a slighting of Cinnamon Teal but could not get a proper identification before it disappeared, as they are prone to do, into the reads so this species still remains of my 'must see' list.