A better day

Birding reports from our roving reporter, Lesser Spot Finder, in Alberta, Canada.
Lesser Spot Finder

A better day

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Written on 21 June but not able to post due to poor bandwidth.

We had torrential rain last night with the sky looking rather biblical. All that was missing was Charlton Heston parting the Red Sea; even the Padre was impressed.
But today was a better day with the sun out and a chance to escape work with a walk to the sewage treatment plant (this time with Military Police permission). The walk produced more species in two hours than I had seen all of last week with highlights being two Short-eared Owls, one mobbing a Red-tailed Hawk, two singing Yellowthroats and most of the ducks on show. Still, not a lifer in nearly two weeks!

Wildfowl, mostly on the far pond, included American Wigeon, Redhead, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Green-winged Teal, Blue-winged Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and Pintail. The Shoveler now have young, as do American Coots, and the overflyers included Willett and Killdeer. One surprise was a very obliging Sora at the edge of the Jenner Highway which took a couple of seconds to realise I wasn’t a tree before scuttling off into the adjacent marsh. Vesper Sparrows were Omni present with large numbers on the track down to the treatment plant; they are very much like plucky Corn Buntings and the scene was reminiscent of a walk on Salisbury Plain.

Heavy rain is again forecast for tomorrow afternoon so perhaps today’s wander will be the last for a couple of days.

Birds are getting all too familiar now and I look forward to a weekend of new birds – I could do without the eight hour drive though.