The end is nigh

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

The end is nigh

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:22 am

I returned from a cracking two weeks on R&R to the news that I am returning to the UK a month early to plan the recovery of the battlegroup. I now leave in a few days and have not managed any birding here whatsoever. I know migration will have arrived but due to lack of time and transport I have been unable to visit any of the prime locations. I'll try and remedy that this weekend but things aren't looking favourable.

I've had a great tour; 7 months is a long time and it will be good to catch up with some more UK birding and meet fellow members on Portland. I hope not to deploy to Afghanistan again so this visit has been something of a swan song.

See you all soon.

Lesser Spot Finder

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 am

This could be my last post here. A drive to the far end of the runway to the newly dug sludge lagoon was very productive with White-tailed Lapwing (27), Black-winged Stilt (2), Wood Sandpiper (2), Little-ringed Plover (3) and a lone White-winged Black Tern. Also present Crested Lark and a male Crowned Sandgrouse. Surprisingly I am going to miss this place.