Pre R&R Post

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

Pre R&R Post

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 am

STOP PRESS

Mixed flock of 200+ Crowned and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse at Runway's End Marsh yesterday. Given the natural regeneration of this area, coupled with the new filter bed some 200m south, I suspect I'll begin to pick-up birds on migration once I get back from R&R.

Talking of the filter bed - Dunlin (6), Little Stint (2) and Green Sandpiper (1) were all present during my late afternoon run.

Lesser Spot Finder

Re: Pre R&R Post

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:12 am

Lesser Spot Finder wrote:STOP PRESS

Mixed flock of 200+ Crowned and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse at Runway's End Marsh yesterday. Given the natural regeneration of this area, coupled with the new filter bed some 200m south, I suspect I'll begin to pick-up birds on migration once I get back from R&R.

Talking of the filter bed - Dunlin (6), Little Stint (2) and Green Sandpiper (1) were all present during my late afternoon run.
Final day in Afghanistan for two weeks (RAF dependent). Yesterday several Dunlin, LRPs, Green Sandpipers and Lesser Sand Plovers at the new filter bed; also one unidentified overflying Pipit. Things are picking up and I expect more when I retun.