Apparently I'm here to work

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

Apparently I'm here to work

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:38 am

I thought I’d deployed with the Battalion to watch the birds of Central Asia. Clearly the Battalion had other ideas and had rather hoped that I would provide J1 support to Combined Force Nahr-e-Saraj (North) and thus the tempo of operations has dictated my week and there has been a paucity of birds. That said, things had quietened down by the weekend and I managed to detour twice to Runway’s End Marsh for a secret look around.

My first Citrine Wagtails flew over on Friday and soon after I found a Desert (Little) Whitethroat and two Daurian Shrikes behind the toilet block. Sadly it is not the done thing to hang around the loos with a pair of binoculars so I only had a fleeting glimpse. Still, it would appear that there is some kind over migration passing through Bastion and 100+ Crowned Sandgrouse low over the cookhouse at last light highlighted this.

Yesterday I managed a quick trip down to the marsh and quickly found three Citrine Wagtails, including a stunning male, two Spanish Sparrows, a (Red spotted) Bluethroat and an unidentified white capped Wheatear. Things were looking up.

Encouraged by yesterday’s success I managed another trip to Runway’s End this morning following a trip to the Forces Cashier. I immediately flushed a Paddyfield Warbler, two Blyth’s Reed Warblers, a fall of ten or so Hume’s Whitethroat, a Desert Warbler close by, a lone Hoopoe and possibly the same Bluethroat from yesterday. All sadly were flushed as a USMC Helicopter flew off the runway and low over.

I'm off to the Green Zone next week and will hopefully add to my list. Watch this space.

loops

here to work?

Postby loops » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi, I'm assuming the topic heading is an April Fool's joke??? :lol:

I was assuming that you were out there solely for the birding!

Keep up the reports. :)

L

Lesser Spot Finder

Re: here to work?

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

loops wrote:Hi, I'm assuming the topic heading is an April Fool's joke??? :lol:

I was assuming that you were out there solely for the birding!

Keep up the reports. :)

L
Lynne,

many thanks. I thought I was here to bird as well!!