A new patch and a new bird!

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

A new patch and a new bird!

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 am

Due to the paucity of birds I wasn’t going to write anything until Sunday. The day had started with two Laughing Doves opposite the Dental Centre; I had lost a filling and was off to meet the dreaded drill. Plans for a delayed report have changed though after I visited my new site which I have christened the Runway's End Marsh. I had a quick walk around just after lunch and again found 200+ roosting Starlings. As I dodged sludge I found Jackal tracks meandering around the water and flushed a couple of Hoopoes at close range. Things were looking up.

As I hit the north end of the Marsh and headed back south scrambling over boulders I heard a trilling call – something I hadn’t listened to before. I lifted my bins as a small passerine flew from the ground and landed on a reed stem. I immediately picked up the bright red (dark orange?) crown and dark, streaked body and identified it as the first lifer of the tour, a male Red-fronted Serin. It only perched for a few seconds before flying north but I am now pleased to have found a new site and a new bird on the first full visit.

This bird is primarily a mountain species and is perhaps heading north from the lowlands to the Hindu Kush. It is certainly a species that I hadn't expected to see and the lack of birds has well and truly been broken.