Bad Weather

Birding reports from from our rep in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Lesser Spot Finder

Bad Weather

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 am

We were due a year's worth of rain in 2 days but luckily this has been downgraded to month's worth so slighly less. However is it is still rather blustery with Tree Sparrows and Crested Larks grounded for the day.

It's my birthday today so I headed over to the PX for a quick coffee. On the way back as I was stopped by the USMC MPs for jumping a stop sign but let off with a warning once he'd seen my DOB on my FMT 600; I would have received a fine. As I drove back high on Caffeine I saw a rather large Falcon flying across the road that seperates Camp Leatherneck with Camp Bastion. A Saker! It was buffeted by winds and took the opportunity to land on aerials used by air traffic control. These are adjacent to my accommodation and workplace but by the time I'd had driven around it had gone. Feeling better I headed to the Rear JOC and flushed a Masked Wagtail from a puddle. Two new year birds for Bastion. More to follow?

By the afternoon the promised rain did not appear. Winds have increased though and there is nothing, bar a few brave Feral Pigeons, in the air but Crested Larks have managed to continue to sing.
Last edited by Lesser Spot Finder on Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lesser Spot Finder

Re: Bad Weather

Postby Lesser Spot Finder » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 am

Lesser Spot Finder wrote:We were due a year's worth of rain in 2 days but luckily this has been downgraded to month's worth so slighly less. However is it is still rather blustery with Tree Sparrows and Crested Larks grounded for the day.

It's my birthday today so I headed over to the PX for a quick coffee. On the way back as I was stopped by the USMC MPs for jumping a stop sign but let off with a warning once he'd seen my DOB on my FMT 600; I would have received a fine. As I drove back high on Caffeine I saw a rather large Falcon flying across the road that seperates Camp Leatherneck with Camp Bastion. A Saker! It was buffeted by winds and took the opportunity to land on aerials used by air traffic control. These are adjacent to my accommodation and workplace but by the time I'd had driven around it had gone. Feeling better I headed to the Rear JOC and flushed a Masked Wagtail from a puddle. Two new year birds for Bastion. More to follow?

By the afternoon the promised rain did not appear. Winds have increased though and there is nothing, bar a few brave Feral Pigeons, in the air but Crested Larks have managed to continue to sing.
A deluge of biblical proportions last night. Large puddles everywhere, tents flooded and Crested Larks taking in as much water as the ground will offer. Alba Wagtails calling high over and I suspect I may bump into a few over the coming days. I have just received welcome intelligence from a USMC Major, a birder I had been in contact with before, who has passed on details of a potential site between Leatherneck and Camp Shorabak. Thanks for the info Jeff. May end up there today if I can get the pick-up to start; it doesn't do the cold or rain. Oh and Noah has just passed in his Ark.